Saturday, November 24, 2007

The Delightful Giant Ant Disaster!

I did this as a t-shirt design for a band whose music I really liked and whose bassist I liked even more! Aww... I had a li'l crushy-crush. They specifically requested a giant ant destroying buildings, so I gave them this. I drew the ant based on a Drew Struzan poster, I think. My friend Frank is breaking the picture plane illegally. You see, he's in the middle-ground and so shouldn't be able to overlap the frame as if he were ahead of Jerry Lewis there in the lefthand corner, but I did that deliberately as a visual joke.

The girl bent over laughing at the hilarity of it all is Hirosue Ryoko, a Japanese actress/singer/model I also had a crush on at the time.

Despite not having the desired effect (of course the bassist didn't fall madly in love with me), there's a nice coda to this image. I sent it via email to Hate artist Peter Bagge and he sent me back a nice compliment. Which is probably more than I deserved, but it definitely made my day.

Peter Bagge is awesome.

Oh yeah, I later did another shirt for this band, this time featuring a charging rhino crushing their name. That one sold like hotcakes, so I'm told. Do hotcakes really sell that well? Are people so into hotcakes that we had to create a simile to convey the wonders of hotcake consumption? I wish I had an image of that shirt, though. It was great.

Note... I just realized this is the second time I've published this in this blog. Blast! Well, it's good enough to show again I suppose.

No comments: